Monday, June 20, 2011

On Being Connected

Yeah! I spent another weekend without turning my computer on. Why is that cause to celebrate? I spend a lot of time at my computer. Many people do. And as much as the Internet allows our thoughts to travel far and wide and tap into incredible sources of information, I long for a different kind of connection. Perhaps we all do on some level.

I re-read Hermann Hess's wonderful, inspiring short story Siddhartha this weekend. To paraphrase one of the pieces of wisdom in the translation ...place more importance on his acts and life than on his speeches, more on the gestures of his hand than on his opinions. Not in his speech, not in his thoughts, I see his greatness, only in his actions, in his life.

The words of inspired teachers hold no meaning in themselves. Nor do the thoughts. It is in the experience, in absorbing the energy that they are meant to carry to us, that we internalize the meaning - that we connect with it. The more we experience that, the more we radiate that awareness back out to others. When we are consumed with thought, we only radiate noise and confusion. When we are consumed with peace, we can connect easily, and we radiate clarity and power.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How would you like to contribute to my goal of reaching out to people in a positive, world-changing way?